“These walls – each stone cost much; its price is not gauged in silver or gold, but in the sweat and blood that purchased it. How proud those pioneers must have felt that day…when for the first time they gathered around their altar to assist at Mass. Their homes were often little more than hovels, but for their dwelling, stately, grand. Ours is a rich inheritance indeed. For us, as well as for God, they laboured and they toiled – that we, their children might possess our faith.”
Archbishop Gray, speaking in 1954 for the church’s centenary
Our beautiful building was built in 1854 and designed by the Pugin brothers.
St Mary’s has a long and difficult history. Leith in the mid nineteenth century was not an easy place to live, and not an easy place to be a Catholic. But it was out of hardship that this church emerged.
Today, we still seek to serve our community, and commit ourselves to those on its margins. We are an Oblate parish, which means we are inspired by example of St Eugene De Mazenod, who encountered Christ among the poor and the suffering. It also means we have a commitment to empowering the laity within the church, and to working with young people.
Oblates are missionaries, committed to “Profoundly respecting the dignity and sacredness of each person, we seek to grow close to Christ and make him known through our way of life and ministry. We commit ourselves principally to those on the margins of church and society.”